Since my first home brew many years ago, I’d been dreaming of opening a brewery. I had no idea if that dream would come true or if it did what I’d call it, but I was open to naming my dream. One summer Sunday in 1991 I was reading the San Francisco Chronicle. A head line in the front section blazed into my brain: Thirsty Bear Bites Man for Cold Beer. After reading about the Bear biting Victor Kozlov’s hand to get a cold beer, I knew that story would be the name of my dream. The article, neatly cut out, lived on my refrigerator door for the next five years until I gave it greater purpose by opening ThirstyBear Brewing Company. You are looking at the original cut out article. Victor Kozlov’s sacrifice of his hard earned beer to the Bear has earned him immortal status in our house beer, Kozlov Stout.
CCOF Certifed Organic Brewery since 2007!!
What’s on Tap updated 4/7/2016
- Cask conditioned ales undergo a secondary fermentation, where almost finished beer is transferred to the cask with actively fermenting beer to kick start secondary fermentation, dry-hopped and stored in cellar temperatures (72 degrees Fahrenheit) for 1-2 weeks. These ales are served in the traditional British method: gravity pulled, naturally carbonated and cellar temperature (50-52 degrees Fahrenheit). This process bring out flavors and aromas that are subdued by cold temperatures.
- 17.5 OG / 65 IBU / 7% ABV The india pale ale is our strongest house ale brewed with copious amounts of American hops to highlight their resinous, piney, citrusy flavors and aromas. Nuff said.
- 16.5 OG / 50 IBU / 6.5% ABV Single Malt And Single Hop! The hop being the new hop varietal Jaryllo, Named after Jarilo, the slavig god of fertility and springtime. With banana, pear and spice aromas.
- 12.6 OG / 40 IBU / 4.9% ABV A classic porter served on nitro. Brewed with organic fuggle hops.
- 11 OG / 15 IBU / 4.5% ABV A unique ale, lightly hopped and easy drinking, but “dry-hopped” with pounds of whole vanilla beans and now TCHO cocoa nibs to infuse the beer with flavor and provide an incredibly aromatic sensation.
- 12.1 OG / 40 IBU / 5% ABV An organic wheat beer brewed with unmalted wheat and hopped with organic crystal and sterling hops.
- 19.6 OG / 50 IBU / 10.0% ABV A Dark Ale brewed with copious amounts of organic chocolate and special b malts, hopped with organic wakatu hops from New Zealand and then aged for a year in American Bourbon Barrels
- 12.9 OG / 30 IBU / 5.1% ABV Toasty amber ake fermented at cooler temperature than typical and lagered for 6 weeks.
- 11.4 OG / 20 IBU / 4.8% ABV A classic golden ale/lager hybrid from Cologne (Koln) In Northern Germany.
- 12.1*OG / N/A IBU / 4.8%ABV A style predating the use of hops our brew instead showcases Mugwort, Yarrow, Manzanita Berries, and sage with a tincture of the rare Yerba Buena herb added post fermentation.