Since my first home brew many years ago, I’d been dreaming of opening a brewery. I had no idea if that dream would come true or if it did what I’d call it, but I was open to naming my dream. One summer Sunday in 1991 I was reading the San Francisco Chronicle. A head line in the front section blazed into my brain: Thirsty Bear Bites Man for Cold Beer. After reading about the Bear biting Victor Kozlov’s hand to get a cold beer, I knew that story would be the name of my dream. The article, neatly cut out, lived on my refrigerator door for the next five years until I gave it greater purpose by opening ThirstyBear Brewing Company. You are looking at the original cut out article. Victor Kozlov’s sacrifice of his hard earned beer to the Bear has earned him immortal status in our house beer, Kozlov Stout.
CCOF Certifed Organic Brewery since 2007!!
What’s on Tap updated 7/1/2016
- Cask conditioned ales undergo a secondary fermentation, where almost finished beer is transferred to the cask with actively fermenting beer to kick start secondary fermentation, dry-hopped and stored in cellar temperatures (72 degrees Fahrenheit) for 1-2 weeks. These ales are served in the traditional British method: gravity pulled, naturally carbonated and cellar temperature (50-52 degrees Fahrenheit). This process bring out flavors and aromas that are subdued by cold temperatures.
- 18.7*OG / 32 IBU / 7.6%ABV A dark strong Bavarian-style wheat beer
- 17.4 OG / 50 IBU / 6.8% ABV Stout brewed with Spanish achiote peppers.
- 13.2 OG / 30 IBU / 5.4% ABV Hoppy Bavarian-style wheat beer with Jaryllo hops.
- 17.5 OG / 65 IBU / 7% ABV The india pale ale is our strongest house ale brewed with copious amounts of American hops to highlight their resinous, piney, citrusy flavors and aromas. Nuff said.
- 11 OG / 15 IBU / 4.5% ABV A unique ale, lightly hopped and easy drinking, but “dry-hopped” with pounds of whole vanilla beans and now TCHO cocoa nibs to infuse the beer with flavor and provide an incredibly aromatic sensation.
- 15.5 OG / 30 IBU / 6.5% ABV German malt, Belgian yeast, American mosaic hops
- 14.1 OG / 25 IBU / 5.7% ABV A milkshake in a pint glass! Nitrogen conditioned ale with Lactose for a creamy body. Belgian yeast and Jeryllo hopes for a fruity nose, and a enormous amount of strawberry puree.
- 12.1 OG / 22 IBU / 5.3% ABV A classic amber Bavarian-style lager.
- 12.4 OG / 24 IBU / 5.6% ABV A classic golden Bavarian-style lager