Since my first home brew many years ago, I’d been dreaming of opening a brewery. I had no idea if that dream would come true or if it did what I’d call it, but I was open to naming my dream. One summer Sunday in 1991 I was reading the San Francisco Chronicle. A head line in the front section blazed into my brain: Thirsty Bear Bites Man for Cold Beer. After reading about the Bear biting Victor Kozlov’s hand to get a cold beer, I knew that story would be the name of my dream. The article, neatly cut out, lived on my refrigerator door for the next five years until I gave it greater purpose by opening ThirstyBear Brewing Company. You are looking at the original cut out article. Victor Kozlov’s sacrifice of his hard earned beer to the Bear has earned him immortal status in our house beer, Kozlov Stout.
CCOF Certifed Organic Brewery since 2007!!
What’s on Tap updated 6/9/2015
- 17.8 OG / 55 IBU / 7.6% ABV Brewed with biscuit malt for light toasty background then generously finished and dry hopped with English pedigreed hops. The Challenger hops provide piney and earthy notes which are complemented by the floral aroma of the Fuggle.
- Cask conditioned ales undergo a secondary fermentation, where almost finished beer is transferred to the cask with actively fermenting beer to kick start secondary fermentation, dry-hopped and stored in cellar temperatures (72 degrees Fahrenheit) for 1-2 weeks. These ales are served in the traditional British method: gravity pulled, naturally carbonated and cellar temperature (50-52 degrees Fahrenheit). This process bring out flavors and aromas that are subdued by cold temperatures.
- 18.1 OG / 30 IBU / 7.9% ABV Strong Belgian golden ale made with Belgian yeast, Pilsner malts and Nelson Sauvin hops. This bee will take you on a trip!
- 14.5 OG / 33 IBU / 6.3% ABV Hoppy American "Red" Ale with all local finishing hops from Hopmeister Farms
- 17.5 OG / 65 IBU / 7% ABV The india pale ale is our strongest house ale brewed with copious amounts of American hops to highlight their resinous, piney, citrusy flavors and aromas. Nuff said.
- 14.5 OG / 35 IBU / 6.3% ABV Black ale the color of midnight, due to being brewed with black malt, chocolate malt and roasted barley. Flavors of espresso coffee and bittersweet chocolate accentuated by a smooth mouthfeel provided by the classic nitrogen pour.
- 15 OG / 30 IBU / 6.4% ABV Our interpretation of the great British extra special bitter, but offered with the twist of a cascading nitrogen pour! It is a harmonious blend of caramel malt flavors with floral hop aromas, complemented by the smooth nitro mouth feel. A house favorite.
- 11 OG / 15 IBU / 4.5% ABV A unique ale, lightly hopped and easy drinking, but “dry-hopped” with pounds of whole vanilla beans and now TCHO cocoa nibs to infuse the beer with flavor and provide an incredibly aromatic sensation.
- 13.5 OG / 35 IBU / 5.7% ABV A golden, bohemian-style pilsner brewed with munich malts and generous portions of “noble” Czech saaz hops for a spicy finish, then fermented cool with our house lager yeast strain.
- 12 OG / 17 IBU / 5% ABV Our wheat beer brewed in the belgian-wit tradition, including unmalted wheat and spiced with coriander and orange peel. Added complexity provided by our house belgian yeast blend after its characteristic high fermentation temperatures.